Thursday, January 29, 2009

Matt's Update

Well, I posted last Friday about the twins' surgeries and how well they had gone. Sunday the boys started getting very cranky and had a lot of drainage from their noses and ears (ewww... I know). We were told that this was to be expected and that discomfort from the adenoidectomy would peak at 4 days post-op. Well, Sunday night was a hard night. The boys were up most of the night and were very uncomfortable. Monday night things got BAD for poor little Matt.

Matthew was up the ENTIRE night on Monday. He slept in 20 minute intervals when he became exhausted from the screaming... and when I say screaming I mean SCREAMING. I was very close to taking him to the ER but kept counting down until 8am when I could call his doctor. His fever reached 102 and he was just inconsolable. It was horrible.

I called the doctor Tuesday morning at 8:01. The R.N. assured me that this was "normal" and I assured her this was absolutely NOT normal. We went back and forth for a few minutes (I know she thought I was being difficult... but oh well) and I finally got an afternoon appointment.

Grandpa came to the rescue (once again) and kept the boys for an hour and a half so I could shower and stop crying. (I was soooooo tired and worried.)

We saw a Nurse Practitioner at the Pediatric ENT office at 3. Good news overall. The tubes were/are not blocked and there are no abscesses. Apparently my little guy has an extraordinary amount of swelling. The swelling is putting pressure on a nerve which is causing the fevers and terrible pain. She gave us some new pain meds and almost doubled his Motrin dosage. It seems to be helping A LOT. He is still not "himself" but he is definitely on the mend.

Thank you so much to everyone who has written and called to check on the boys. And a huge thank you to Jenna for adding us to her prayer list! (Jenna keeps an amazing prayer list on her blog. Be sure to peek at her 4 little cuties and check it out.)


nicole_dib said...

I am so sorry to hear about matt.. I hope he is feeling better! How long before the swelling should go down? How are you holding up? I know that is tough watching him (and both of them) in sooo much pain. Call if we can do anything!

Pres-tone said...

I'm glad this got done now so they don't have to remember much/any of it later. Poor Matty, feel better!